Background and History


              On September 23 rd 1954, The United States under President Eisenhower made a statement in the United Nation Assembly to implement the plan to promote peaceful utilization of atomic energy. The U.S. then assigned delegations to various countries around the world including Thailand to seek cooperation and discuss proceeding of the plan.

             Royal Government of Thailand through the Cabinet had agreed to appoint a board, consisted of experts in various science-related fields, called "Committee on Atomic Energy" (which has been renamed to "Atomic Energy Commission for Peace, A.E.C" since 1956) on November 17 th 1954 to confer with the Affiliated Atomic Commission of the U.S. Congress on the occasion of their official visit to Thailand. The committee reported the resultant dialogue to the Cabinet on December 7 th 1954. The Cabinet later approved the plan proposed by the committee and assigned the committee to implement the plan as well as establish a nuclear research reactor and laboratory for education, training and research of Thai scientists and engineers pursuing peaceful utilization of atomic energy. The U.S. Government also proposed to provide support through training of Thai scientists as well as to supply equipment and isotopes for medical and science-related applications.

             Atomic energy applications in Thailand have then progressed through supports from international communities and the very first group of Thai scientists received their training from Argonne in May 1955.

             On 15 October 1957, Royal Thai Government ratified the statue of the International Atomic Energy Agency, IAEA, as an agency under the United Nation and consequently was the th 58 on the list of IAEA Member States

             On May 14 th 1958, the Cabinet approved the Thai A.E.C. to issue a contract for the construction of a research reactor building and the reactor from Curtiss-Wright Corporation, USA at the location of Bangkhen, Srirubsook Road (now Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road) on May 20 th, 1960. At that moment the Thai A.E.C.’s temporarily office was at the Department of Science (now Department of Science Service) and run by government personnel who were trained in nuclear engineering or science programs from affiliated agencies.

             On April 25 th 1961, Royal Thai Government proclaimed the enactment of the Atomic Energy for Peace Act, B.E. 2504 resulting in the establishment of the Office of Atomic energy for Peace, OAEP, located on Srirubsook Road, Bangkhen, PraNakhon (now 16 Vibhavadi- Rangsit Road, Chatuchak, Bangkok, 10900). In accordance with its statutory functions, OAEP was responsible for undertaking the research and development in nuclear technology for developing the country and regulating on nuclear and radiation safety. Since then OAEP has been under different Ministries as follows:

    1961 - 1963: The Office of Prime Minister
    1963 - 1972: Ministry of National Development
    1972 - 1979: Ministry of Industry
    1979 - 1992: Ministry of Science Technology and Energy
    1992 - 2002: Ministry of Science Technology and Environment
    2002 - Current: Ministry of Science and Technology

             The issuance of Government Reorganization Act in 2002, Article 39 and 39(2) to improve efficiency and productivity of governmental section renamed the "Office of Atomic Energy for Peace" to  "Office of Atoms for Peace" and the "Secretary General of Office of Atomic Energy for Peace" to "Secretary General of Office of Atoms for Peace."

             The issuance of the Royal Decree Establishing Nuclear Institute of Technology (Public Organization) B.E. 2549 in the Royal Gazette Volume 123 Part 39a dated April 20 th 2006 effective April 21st 2006 and the Cabinet Resolution on November 21 st 2006 on transfer of business, property, authority, liability, and budget involving nuclear research have separated Thailand Nuclear Institute of Technology (Public Organization) from the Office of Atoms for Peace to mainly focus on nuclear research conduction. As a result, the Office of Atoms for Peace currently functions as the official agent to regulate nuclear and radiation safety as well as provide recommendations on atomic energy administration to conform with international standards for safety of operators and the public.

 

Organizations involved in Nuclear Energy

 

Main Responsibilities of OAP

Establish rules, regulations and measure for the control and regulation of the use of nuclear energy and waste management;To control and regulate peaceful uses of nuclear energy and nuclear facilities through its BRSR and BNSR. Control functions (inspections) in general are performed through competent officials appointed by the Minister who takes charge and control of the execution of the Act;Cooperate for nuclear affairs and foreign relations;

 

Responsibility of Regulatory Units at the OAP

To protect life, health and property from the hazards of nuclear energy and from the harmful effects of ionizing radiation.To provide compensation for damage caused by nuclear energy or ionizing radiation.To prevent danger to the internal or external security from the use or the release of nuclear energy.To meet its obligations in the field of nuclear energy and protection against radiation.

 

Main Obligations of OAP

1.    To be the Secretariat of the Atomic Energy for Peace Commission (Thai AEC)

2.    To regulate safety utilizations of radiation and nuclear materials.

3.    To coordinate formulation of national policy and strategic plans on peaceful utilization of atomic energy.

4.    To coordinate and support national security relevant to atomic energy issues.

5.    To coordinate and carry out commitments and obligations with international organizations and with foreign institutes.

6.    To coordinate and carry out technical co-operation with organizations in Thailand and abroad

Office of Atoms for Peace , Ministry of Science and Technology 16 Vibhavadi Rangsit Road Bangkok 10900, Thailand
Phone: 66 2 596 7600 Fax: 66 2 561 3013 Email: itc@oap.go.th
Copyright © 2016 Office of Atoms for Peace, Thailand. All Rights Reserved.

Search